Wednesday 8 February 2012

Crabs "n things

            Several of the guys in the park have taken up crabbing. We have been down to the fishing/crabbing pier in the harbour, several times to watch. They catch lots of Dungeness crabs in the small traps, but the crab must be at least 61/2 inches across, so most go back into the water. A special measuring tool is used. The 18 inch trap is made from a 1/8 inch steel rim with the net attached. The trap folds in half for throwing and has lines attached. In the center of the trap is a mesh basket into which you put the bait, usually chicken necks or backs. So once the trap is loaded you lift it up with the line and the trap closes. Swing the trap and throw it as far out into the water as one can. The trap opens on the sandy bottom and the crabs come for the feast. Sometimes leaving it for just five minutes is enough before pulling it in and up onto the dock. About my fifth throw I pulled in a 7 jnch beauty.

First the swing....
                                     
                                                    Then haul it in
              To clean them everyone has a different method it seems. My friend simply cuts it in half through the back shell. Next he pulled off the back shell then held the legs and gave it a good shake and all the, shall we say none usable parts, fly out. You scrape it to be sure it is clean and pop it into a pot of boiling water for 8 minutes. I was surprised at the amount of meat we had from one crab. Bev and I had it for happy hour with crackers and cheese, it was delicious. Oh yes and some wine.

     Now my friend thought he had a net full of crabs when he hauled his net in, but he had a surprise instead. He pulled in a large starfish. We saw lots of these when we were in the Bahamas, but I did not know they were this far north. I went on line and found that they roam all the oceans and these are called Sun starfish. This one was much larger than what I found on the web. They can have up to 40 arms and if they lose one they simply grow another one.  
Anyway I think I will invest the $11 for a license and $13 for the trap. Not a bad deal since the stores sell the Dungeness crabs for $12 each. Actually I guess the one I caught was illegal and it is worth the $24 not to take the chance of being caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment